Tuesday, June 29, 2010

And the waiting period officially begins...

I know, I know, I have mentioned the waiting period as if we were "really" in the waiting pool, but I swear now we are officially waiting. Hurry and wait - that has been our motto and our life lately. Now that the paperwork is turned in, our family book is complete and sitting on agency coffee tables and baby gear is being collected from garage sales and craigslist - we have an opportunity to be carefree and revel in spending time with each other and our lovely pup, Ursa. The calm before the storm as the saying goes.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we just got back from an adoption class weekend. I could tell you all about how amazing it was, the incredible stories we heard, the extremely useful advice we received, the inspiring people we met, how much the class confirmed our commitment and excitement for this journey and so much more, but instead I am going to share some powerful words with you that I think reflect some of the important lessons we learned last weekend.

Adopted Children's Rights
From Making Sense of Adoption by Lois Melina

1. Children have the right to know who they are and how they joined their families, and how to grow up knowing the truth.

2. Children have the right to freely ask questions and express their feelings about being adopted.

3. Children have the right to a positive attitude about their birth parents.

4. Children have the right to be accepted as individuals with a unique genetic heritage.

5. Children have the right to be recognized by society as full and equal members of their adoptive families.

6. Information about our children's origin is private and belongs to them. They have the right to choose to share certain information.

7. Transracially adopted children have a right to a positive sense of racial or ethnic identity.

These are important rules to live by and David and I are committed to them as I hope you are too.

Now off to get some more weeding done in our garden before the sun goes down. I love summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment